“As you walk to the boundary of your understanding into the twilight of uncertainty, exercising faith, you will be led to find solutions you would not obtain otherwise.” Elder Richard G. Scott.

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

One Year Ago

One year ago yesterday, we had a fire.
Thank goodness we didn't loose our house.
How blessed we are.
I had put a pot on to boil.
Turned on the wrong burner.
The burner I turned on had a plastic ice cream bucket on it.
I was downstairs and heard the smoke alarm going off.
Crap I thought.
Ran upstairs and saw the flames reflection on the wall as I came upstairs.
This was not just the fact the water is boiling.
I screamed to the kids it was a fire and to get out.
I threw a dutch oven lid on the fire.
Not good enough.
The fire had hit the back of the stove and the electrics of the stove.
At some point in this mess, 911 was called.
I managed to pull the stove away from the wall.
There is no cupboards around it, so it was easy.
I remember looking out the side door at sometime and seeing L holding Miss M and b with no shoes on.
They did as we had planned, go to the neighbors.
To.a.T

I remember staanding outside knowing Mr. Miller had a horrible day at work.
 He pulled up and I said the kids were o.k and cried.
I remember being so emotional.
Greatful the kids were safe and happy we didn't loose the house.
It really helped me to remember what is important.
Family.
Nothing else really matters.

Greatful for insurance and that it covers stupidity.
That was what it was and no other way around it.
I thought we would be back in our house in a week, it was just a small fire after all.
HA!
There is NO SUCH THING as a SMALL fire!
The soot gets into E.V.E.R.Y.T.H.I.N.G!
On the main floor, if it was plastic, it was gone.
Wood, gone.
food, gone.
fabric, it was steam cleaned.
There was not really much burned, but so much gone.
To be honest, I really wonder how much the people who did our clean kept for themselves!
All L wanted for Christmas was to be in our house.
Nope
It could be up to 6 months til we were back in our house.
I didn't like that answer and pestered the heck out of our cleaners.
7 weeks later, we were home.

Sometimes I still feel so emotional about the fire.
What if we lost a child?
THAT would kill me.
Each and every child of ours is so precious.
When we say our prayers and ask for His protective care, we never really understand how he will answer us.
I am greatful for His love and His care.

So happy we get to spend all of Christmas in OUR home.
We told the kids we would not go unless they asked us if they could go somewhere.
THAT is how we will spend our Christmas.
It will be wonderful!

3 comments:

*K* said...

I can't believe that was already a year ago!! It went by so fast! I'm also happy to know that your family was OK during that and a big high five to your kids for doing what you practiced and a big high five to you and J for actually practicing it. I bet you won't leave the stove unattended now will ya? lol

JRoberts said...

We feel the same, well, not the same, but we feel that we should spend time at home for Christmas as well. I totally understand. It is for time together and time that you can miss out on the running around, looking out for other peoples stuff, etc. A fact you know more than anyone!

Christmas is a time for Christ and family. (my personal opinion) Have a wonderful one!

Alison said...

Wow I had no idea about that! That almost happened to me. I left a burner on and then put Jada's lunch kit on it. Good thing I was still in the kitchen when it started smoking. I would not call it stupid though. You are an intelligent person. I think it is just called being crazy busy and having 10 things on our plate at the same time. I hope you have a great Christmas this year!!