“As you walk to the boundary of your understanding into the twilight of uncertainty, exercising faith, you will be led to find solutions you would not obtain otherwise.” Elder Richard G. Scott.

Monday, August 29, 2011

me and deep fried food.

I have never denied that I love deep fried food. My favorite fried food is five guys french fries. Personally I think everyone in life should get to experience those fries. A close second is the garlic and parsley french when we went to go and see the Seattle Seahawks 3 years ago.  I thought everyone loved a fair donut like I do.  Lots of my favorite foods are deep fried. To say I love them is minor. I will never admit how much fried food I eat in 1 week because it's embarrassing.

A few months ago, I went without deep fried foods for 1 week. It seemed pretty easy. My goal was to challenge myself and make it for 1 week. It seemed pretty minor and was easy to do. At the end of the week though, it never really changed my eating habits though. That was one of my goals and but it didn't really happen the way I wanted it to. 

So I was thinking about it a while ago and decided I needed to challenge myself and do something HARD. I decided that for an un-determined amount of time, I was going to give up food that was deep fried.  I know this is not hard for everyone but it is for me. 

This weekend we went away for a little family get away. At one point L was having Chinese food. One of his favorite is sesame chicken. He offered me a piece and I said "No, I am sorry, it's deep fried" He looked at me and said "Mom, I don't know how you are going to do this! Look at all the food that you cannot have anymore!" I told him that it was not a "cannot have" but a "chosen to not have" 

It gave me a great opportunities how in life, people make choices and we get to live by the choices that we make, either good or bad. 

I hope he gets it. 




2 comments:

Kimara said...

good for you! I don't have that weakness I don't like a lot of fried food...but I do love Chinese and that would be a problem! Good luck

JRoberts said...

What a wonderful lesson. To know that we want something, but know that it may be bad for us so we choose not to do/have/use/listen to/ etc. What a thing to teach to our children. It can be appied to so many things in our lives as well.