“As you walk to the boundary of your understanding into the twilight of uncertainty, exercising faith, you will be led to find solutions you would not obtain otherwise.” Elder Richard G. Scott.

Monday, February 10, 2014

Goals for this year in cooking

I don't like to cook. Nope, not at all.I think a LOT of my dislike of cooking comes from my lack of confidence in my cooking skills.My "skills", term used e.x.t.r.e.m.e.l.y. loosely. When I first got married my Mr. used to say, "What are we having for burnt offerings, I mean dinner tonight?" That was a pretty true statement.

I WANT to learn how to cook. Now that I am home full time, I am taking this opportunity to learn how to cook more. I am going to post some recipes I like and am going to try to make this year.

Prime Rib. My family loves prime rib but I just don't know how to do it. I have a friend and her hubby is the prime rib king of their house. Here is the tutorial I want to use to make my prime rib. A lot of the other sides she has looks amazing, so I might make one or two of those as well. 

Tamales. I am going to use this recipe. She is my friend and happens to be an AMAZING cook! I know her recipes are good. I am so excited. I LOVE love LOVE tamales so I better learn to make these! 

Gumbo. I love the idea of Gumbo but have never had it. I love that it has so many veggies in it. I think this is the recipe I will try. Unless anyone has a better recipe. 

Jambalaya. I tried a recipe yesterday, it was so-so. I didn't put shrimp in it because I am the only in my family that likes shrimp. I meant to cook it on the side later but got home too late and forgot. This one looks way better than the one I tried. I wonder if I could make it with Quinoa. 

I want to learn to incorporate more veggies into my meals without it being veggies and dip or just steamed broccoli. I want my side dishes to be fun and exciting where they are full of veggies and healthy but not boring. Where my kids will learn to love veggies. Maybe I will too!

I want to learn more about gluten free baking. Not that I am going gluten free or have to, just want to learn how to do it. I have family members in my extended family and want to be able to bake something for them that they can enjoy when we get together. I want to be able to learn how to properly make my own gluten free dough mix. I want to understand more about what the differences are in flours. Not all flours "act" the same as the flour your buy in the store, so I have been told. I want to understand the difference between flours.

I want to learn more about soaking my foods for a better quality food before we eat them. Soaking nuts, grains, stuff like that. How to make soaked tortillas sounds interesting to me. The first time I saw it was here. They LOOK so good and healthy. 

I want to learn to make my own pasta! Seriously, doesn't this sound fun! To me it does. Quinoa pasta sounds AMAZING! I have never had it before but want to try it and learn to make it!

Most importantly, I want to learn to bake, decorate, cook and clean with my family in the kitchen! I want my kids to know how to make a proper meal. I want them to be more confident in the kitchen. L has been baking once a week. It is wonderful to be able to watch him grow and develop. He is becoming quite the foodie :) That makes me happy!

What are some recipes you didn't know how to make but taught yourselves? What are some of your favorite family meals?

No comments: